Monday, January 6, 2014

Day #5

January 5, 2014

Day #5 included one of my favorite scripture readings - the 1st chapter of the Gospel of John. “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” From the beginning (whenever and however that happened) Jesus was included, was present, was a part of it. There is simply no better way to say it than the Gospel writer does. The Word was - always!

But my absolute favorites are verses 12 and 13 of that 1st chapter: 12But to all who received him, who believed in his name, he gave power to become children of God, 13who were born, not of blood or of the will of the flesh or of the will of man, but of God.”

Perhaps it comes from being an only child of an only child and having such a small family, but to think of being adopted by God overwhelms me. It awes me to think of having such a loving, caring Father and such a huge, loving and quirky family. It is hard to wrap my head around, but it’s not my head that accepts the truth of it. It is my heart.

So the main point of what bubbled up for last week’s message was the distinction between what describes us and what defines us. What describes us comes in words the world tends to use: loser, mistake-maker, geek, shy, unworthy. I hear those words rattling in my brain. You’ll never succeed. You’ll never be much. You should be as clean on the inside as you try to be on the outside (quote!)

Yet, God turns all that around. God does an amazing thing. Through Jesus, the Word, God’s son, we are given the power to become children of God. That, yes that, is what defines me. It is what gives me worth. It is what gives me acceptance. It is what ultimately makes my life important.

Sure, I make mistakes. Sure, I’m still a loser when it comes to some things and a geek and shy in others. Yet, I’m loved and accepted even in the midst of all those descriptions - because I am a child of God. It is that love and acceptance that drives me to do for others, to share with others, to pray for others, and to have peace and joy in my own life. It is amazing!

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment