Monday, February 24, 2014

Day #55

February 24, 2014

It was newsletter article due day. Each month I try to write a little something special. For next month, the focus is Lent and Easter. Hard to believe it is already that time of year, but what a special season it is that is just around the corner. Writing about Lent started me thinking seriously about it.

Lent may not lend itself to joyful music, bright colors, or the saying or singing of alleluia. Nor may it be very exciting to think about prayer, fasting and giving alms in a very intentional, penitential manner. But Lent can be an awesome time of reflection, sacrifice and deep consideration of what Easter is really all about. I still remember the depth of the first time I experienced more fully the joy of Easter morning because I had walked the journey of Lent and Holy Week. How can any of us truly appreciate the resurrection without a time of “wilderness” reflection and sacrifice? Not in some martyrdom way, however, but in an “all this just for me” revelation of gratitude and thanksgiving.

It is time to be thinking of Lenten discipline for 2014. What will I do intentionally this year? Give up something or add something?

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment