Friday, February 7, 2014

Day #33

February 2, 2014

It was cold in the sanctuary for worship. Looking back, we should have moved the service to another part of the building. But, who knew the heat would not ever come on, or what was the reason it couldn’t?

The reason, it seems, was that someone had helped themselves to about five feet of pipe that runs from the propane gas tank to the underground line that connects to the furnace. Five feet of conductive pipe was all that was keeping a room full of people from being warm. Five feet of conductive pipe was all that disconnected us from the fuel needed to make the system work properly.

What keeps us from being connected to what makes our own “system” work properly? For me, when I am feeling confused, hurt, angry, bitter, put upon or generally upset, I try to remember to take stock of what is generally going on in my spiritual life. Have I maintained the spiritual disciplines that help me be aware of Christ’s peace? Usually not. It is as if I removed five feet of my conductive necessity. It means my “system” needs help.

Prayer, worship, study, conversation - they all are part of that five feet of pipe in my spiritual life. Yours, too, probably. If I remove it, I’m running on empty. Just blowing air and not accomplishing much. Have to love that image! And be thankful God is patiently waiting on me to “reconnect.”

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment