Friday, February 14, 2014

Day #40

February 9, 2014

If you want to be kept on your toes, spend time with youth. I love it! They challenge me, are honest with me, help me, and cut to the core.

You should preach like so and so, I was recently told. They are funny. You know, you just aren’t funny. That’s why no one laughs at your jokes in the sermon.

Ouch!!! Until I began to really think on the comment. Is preaching supposed to be “funny?” Is preaching supposed to be entertaining? Not that it should bore folks to sleep, but what is the purpose of preaching?

It seems a lot like the Daily Intersection. Connecting the dots between God’s ancient word and today’s life. Using examples, sometimes humorous, to help make a point. And to focus, always, on what God does for us in the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. As one professor said, if Jesus did not have to die on the cross for your sermon to be preached, consider rewriting it.

Christ’s death is not "funny"! The cross is not "entertaining"! It’s reality. It's grace. Not that I don’t also want to be a little funny, too, but Jesus’ death and resurrection is very serious. And amazing. Worth doing the absolute best to talk about each week.

So thank you, young one, for being honest. And challenging me. Maybe this Sunday will be different… I don’t know, have you seen the text?!

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment