Sunday, January 17, 2021

Day #2571

January 14, 2021 

I spent several hours attending a virtual Continuing Education class today. The topic was "Covenant as Care." A portion of the class was about God’s covenants with Noah and Abraham in the Old Testament. These were good reminders and preparation for scripture readings in Lent, which will begin soon.


Some of the class was about how to prepare for a sermon. Start early and listen were two pieces that were good reminders for me. Start early is about reading the scripture early in the week and letting it ruminate in my heart and mind. I am thankful for a Text Study Group that meets on Tuesdays to help me in this part of the process. I also know that listening is key. Listening to others, listening to the Holy Spirit, and listening to my heart as I prepare is very important.


The third portion of the class was about Self-care. What do I do to relax and refuel? I was reminded that some weeks there is simply not enough of this focus in my life. I find it difficult, however, to say to someone, I cannot be available to you because I am focusing on my own self-care. Yes, I know that an empty vessel cannot be fully present with someone. But….it is a balance. Maybe one day I will find that perfect place between meeting my own needs and the needs of others. In the meantime, as I have stated before, when I grumble more than normal, that is something to notice and do something about. Perhaps the class today will help me keep a better check on my moods. Let's hope so. :-)


Blessings. And prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment