Sunday, January 10, 2021

Day #2564

January 7, 2021 

Yesterday afternoon was rough. News came that the Capitol Building in Washington, DC, had come under siege. Our country has been in turmoil over the November, 2020, election for months now, and yesterday was a culmination of the angst. 


I understand the need to speak out. I understand the anger and frustration has to come out somehow, just as it has in other demonstrations for racial justice, police reform, and many more. But, I was frightened. I was taken back to how a peaceful demonstration in my youth turned into bloodshed that changed our lives forever. 


Thoughts like: where would the anger end; is this only the beginning; who would be hurt and who else was at risk; and what will this mean for our future all came rushing forth. And mostly I wondered, how do I respond? What can I do? 


I took out our denomination’s ELW Worship book and leafed through the prayers for our country and for civil unrest and found this: 

O God, where hearts are fearful and constricted, grant courage and hope. Where anxiety is infectious and widening, grant peace and reassurance. Where impossibilities close every door and window, grant imagination and resistance. Where distrust twists our thinking, grant healing and illumination. Where spirits are daunted and weakened, grant soaring wings and strengthened dreams. All these things we ask in the name of Jesus Christ, our Savior and Lord. Amen.

I shared this on FaceBook and in an email to the congregation. Does it speak for or against what is happening? I don’t think so. Does it do enough? I can’t answer. Did I feel some comfort? Yes. 


God knows what is happening and is with us in the midst of it all. But I have the need to speak to God in prayer. I am so grateful God hears. Always!


Blessings. And prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment