Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Day #2569

January 12, 2021 

Tuesday’s Thoughts on Scripture come from Psalm 139:13: For you yourself created my inmost parts; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. (ELW)


When we first began a Prayer Shawl Ministry in my home congregation, the group followed the suggestion of how to proceed from another congregation. Folks gathered together to learn and knit. We prayed before and after each gathering. We prayed as we worked/knitted, and we prayed over each completed shawl. This scripture was an integral part of the prayer/blessing of the completed projects. Perhaps this was because “knit” appeared, but I believe it went further. 


To think that the same God who knows us from the beginning of our very existence, in our mother’s womb, is the same God who is with us in our worst moments or in our moments of crisis is not only comforting, but life-changing. To think of someone putting in time and prayer to create a shawl to remind us of God’s presence is also not only comforting, but life-changing. My first attempt at learning to knit and creating a shawl was met with lots (LOTS) of mistakes. It truly was a labor of love and prayer, but it meant very much to the person who received it. Her appreciation was important for me in learning how to show God's love to others. 


Today, I pray that this verse reminds you God not only has a hand in your life, but is the very creator of your life. Which also means God cares about you - every day in every way. Peace be with you. 


Blessings. And prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment