Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Day #2240

February 18, 2020

This Tuesday’s Thoughts on Scripture is based on Matthew 17:4: Peter said to Jesus, "Lord, it is good for us to be here; if you wish, I will make three dwellings here, one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah.” (NRSV)

This is part of the gospel for Transfiguration Sunday, that somewhat odd celebration of Jesus’ trip up the mountain with three of his disciples who are able to witness something amazing - the transfiguration of Jesus. His face will shine like the sun and his clothes will become dazzling white, all as a reflection of Jesus’ glory. The event is even accompanied by a voice (God) from heaven - this is my son. Now who wouldn’t want to stay and bask in that sort of vision, seeing and experiencing Jesus as he really is?!

Years ago I spent a weekend at a retreat. All the meals were provided, gifts were given throughout the day, people waited on me, and all my needs were met. Everyone was kind and caring and attentive. Others listened to my ideas and none of my comments were considered wrong or foolish. There was singing and joy and I felt like I was in the presence of God every single minute. I wanted to stay there. I never wanted to come home. I never wanted the time to end. I felt like I was in utopia. 

But the weekend couldn’t last. Being waited on was exhausting for those who did the work. Listening to my every word meant someone else’s thoughts or opinions were ignored. And, honestly, who can continue to be that joyful every single minute?! No, there was work to be done (I had bills to pay, after all) back home. I had people waiting on me and relying on me. The joy-filled feelings, and the experience, could not be sustained. At least not on this earth. 

I do believe, however, the community of the retreat was a glimpse into what life could be like, what a new heaven and new earth will probably be like, and what being in the eternal presence of Christ will definitely be like. At least as it is promised. 

So while Transfiguration Sunday may seem odd, perhaps it is the perfect precursor to the upcoming season of Lent. Basking in the glory of God, we can be sustained throughout the days to come, remembering that God’s spoken direction to the disciples (and to us) is to listen to Jesus, whose first words are “Get up, and do be not be afraid.” He is with us. Thanks be to God!

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment