Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Day #2220

January 29, 2020 

In a discussion today, the youth were talking about doing “job shadowing.” Several different professions were mentioned, so I asked, I wonder why pastors are not “job shadowed?” One of the youth spoke up, maybe it’s because it’s boring. We all laughed. I mean, it probably seems boring when compared to being the mayor of a city or an EMT. But then there was a follow-up question: “what does your day look like?” Honestly, no two days are ever really the same and there is not a lot of “routine.” Things can change quickly. However, I later found myself pondering the question, what do pastors do?

Years ago our book club read a novel about a pastor’s life. Mostly the author depicted the pastor having conversations with folks, planning worship, attending meetings, and making visits and phone calls, most of which seemed to imply the job can, indeed, be boring. The book was also a reality check. I imagine most folks have no idea what being a pastor is actually like. Which is probably the case for almost all vocations - unless you do the job, it’s hard to know what it really entails. 

Fortunately, I find not knowing what I may be invited into keeps the days exciting and challenging. And then there are the times when someone wants to talk about God and God’s presence in their life. Those are some of the best moments - learning with and from others. Oh, and celebrating Holy Communion at worship. That is never, ever dull, or boring!!!

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment