Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Day #2226

February 4, 2020 

This Tuesday’s Thoughts on Scripture is based Matthew 5:16: In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven. (NRSV)

I first remember hearing this scripture at my own baptism. A large candle was lit and handed to me (I was an adult when I was baptized) and the pastor said those words. They seemed overwhelming. Weighted. A large responsibility. And carried the assumption that I would not only do good works, but that there was light in me worthy of shining. Wow! As I write these words, I am still humbled. 

Over the years, I have said these words to many others (or their parents) who I have had the honor of baptizing in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. I wonder if they have also felt the weight. If so, please remember, as I have learned, that the light is God’s, not ours, and will shine in ways we cannot imagine or plan. And, the good works will come because of that light being in us. Therefore, we can give glory to God, and thanks for always being in and with us. 

Blessings.

Also, today is...

Prayers for all those who are in the midst of the fight, for those who have valiantly come through the fight, and for all of us who have loved ones now at eternal rest following the fight. Can you imagine how wonderful it would be to have to cancel World Cancer Day because the disease had been eliminated?! May it one day SOON be so! 

No comments:

Post a Comment