Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Day #490

May 5, 2015

In reading a book the Stewardship Committee Chair encouraged us to read, I came across this in Ask, Thank, Tell, by Charles R. Lane (page 21): 
Several years ago I was preaching to a group of pastors at a retreat. In the sermon, I repeatedly referred to the countless gifts we have received from our loving God. I remember being very careful to use the word gifts to make sure there was no confusion about the fact that we live by the gracious hand of God, not from our own accomplishments.
Later in the retreat I was in conversation with Pastor Harry Wendt, president of Crossways International. Harry was one of the speakers at the retreat. In his gentle, direct way, Harry suggested that I should be careful about using the word gift. He said that God doesn’t give gifts, at least not in the way we use the word gift.
He went on to point out that when we use the word gift we imply that one person has given something to someone else, who then owns that item and is free to do with it as they please. He concluded his observation by saying that this is not the way it is with God and us. God continues to own everything.
Of course, Harry was correct.
This sure made me reconsider about using the term ‘God’s gifts.’ I agree we are entrusted for only a short time with what God has created and we are called to be good stewards of those things. We don’t OWN them, even if we pay for them, for they are not ever permanently ours, whether it be time, talents, or treasures.

Something to think about!

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment