Saturday, May 2, 2015

Day #486

May 1, 2015

Twice this week I was asked to reflect on what I like best about being a pastor. What is it that gives me the most joy?

I was glad I was asked early in the week, at the Transition Workshop. The question was asked as an exercise for getting to know one another, so it was a hypothetical question. But then when I was asked for “real” later, I was ready. Here is essentially what I said:
A while ago I was reminded by a young man that every week I gave him Jesus. He was referring to Holy Communion. And that is what I like best about being a pastor - I get to give Jesus. Every week.
But, here is what I want to add to what I said. It’s more than just giving a little bread and wine...Jesus’ body and blood. It’s connection. It’s relationship. It’s assurance of God’s forgiveness, love and care. It’s life-giving and life-sustaining, what I get to distribute. It’s grace. And I also get to, every day, live into that grace and help others do the same.

Being a pastor is both an honor and privilege, and huge responsibility. I am certainly glad I don’t do it alone!!!

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment