Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Day #489


May 4, 2015

As I was having a conversation about what I see as part of being a pastor, an example came to me. One of the television programs my husband and I regularly watch is Deadliest Catch. Watching the captains at work, it seems their job often consists of trying to keep one eye on the deck and the other on the Bering Sea, watching for that notorious bad weather to cause those rogue waves. When they spot danger on the way, they either turn into the wave, try to outrun it, or at least scream to take cover.

A pastor does somewhat the same, in my mind. There always seems to be something on the horizon that can send a wave of fear, doubt, tender feelings, etc. cascading over the ship. Sometimes, if we can see it coming in enough time, we can turn into it and head it off. Other times we might can run from it, also avoiding a crash. And sometimes we just scream to take cover and roll with it, praying for the best.

That’s when the conversation partner told me about a cartoon they saw of a guy in the front of a boat fishing. As he had one eye on the line where he was experiencing a nibble and the other on the water, he totally missed the fact that his buddy in the back, along with half the boat, had been eaten by a huge fish, leaving only his hat floating in the wake. 
 
Hmmm...makes me wonder if my original analogy needs some work! :-)
Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment