Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Day #94

April 4, 2014

It isn’t really unusual to see white crosses on the side of the road. Sometimes there are small ones, often with flowers or other trinkets laid at their base, placed in memory of someone who tragically died  in that location. There are also large crosses. Sometimes three are placed together, as a reminder of Jesus’ death at Golgotha. But at the sight I witnessed, there was a single, tall (probably 12-15 feet), white cross, maybe eight feet off the highway.

What I noticed first, though, was the vehicle parked on the side of the road. Only as I slowed down to change lanes did the man standing at the cross catch my eye. He was facing it, with his hat in his hand, and his head bent - presumably in prayer.

I must admit, my initial reaction was skepticism, but it quickly turned to respect. Whatever was going on in his mind, his heart, or his life, he was taking it to the foot of a (the) cross. Which is exactly where Jesus would want us to take our cares, joys, thanksgivings, petitions, sorrows, requests, etc. 

This man, who I will never know, made an impression on me. I cannot say I recommend literally  stopping on the side of the road, however, because the truth is, we can take our cares to the foot of the cross at any time or place, in a figurative way. In fact, I took my prayer to God for this man while traveling down the highway at 65 mph.

Fortunately, God hears us whenever, or wherever, we are. It must have meant something, however, for this man to actually stand at the foot of a cross. What a privilege it is, however we do pray, to have a God who loves us so much as to always be there with us and for us.

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment