Monday, April 14, 2014

Day #101

April 11, 2014

There was something significant from yesterday that I did not mention because I wanted to celebrate the 100th entry. So here it is: the phone rang yesterday afternoon and a dear friend wanted to ask about ways to help introduce Jesus to someone that is searching and struggling with their faith. What an honor, not only for my friend, but for me, too. It brought back memories of my life before 1980, when I really was searching and struggling myself, except I barely realized it.

There is a conversation I distinctly remember from around 1975 that I had with someone who was trying to help me see the need for Jesus in my life. She was trying to explain that not only did I commit sins, but that I was in bondage TO sin. That there was sort of a cavern between God and me that only Jesus could cross. Honestly, that made no sense to me at the time. But when she talked about my sins, I was quick to inform her that I had not done any of those “top ten.” No murder, no adultery, no coveting - whatever that is, I thought. She tried, God love her, to help me understand, but I went away more confused and stubborn toward God than ever.

However, in hindsight, I know that conversation was a seed planting, even though for quite a while after it I just ran harder from anyone who suggested anything about God, faith, salvation, etc. to me. Until I met someone who was Lutheran, who introduced to me to their pastor, and who invited me to a worship service. It was there I heard about a word I never before remembered hearing - grace. The rest, as they say, is history and every day I am thankful.

You know, I imagine that woman prayed for me (I know I do for those who struggle, as I am for my friend’s someone), and probably wonders at times whatever happened to me. Wouldn’t she be surprised?! Because truth is, God happened to me. Thank you, Almighty God, for the witness of a woman I barely remember, whose name is long forgotten, but who tried to be faithful to your love and grace by sharing them with me. Amen.

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment