Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Day #326

November 22, 2014

Well, it seems to have begun in earnest. The season for shopping: groceries for all the extra meals and treats; items for the friends and family; finding just the right thing for just the right person.

We’ve been shopping almost everyday, but it’s for essentials we didn’t bring along on the move. Things we didn’t realize we would need or things we discarded too quickly. It seems there is always one more thing on the list.

But my favorite line for today was overheard by a young boy telling the woman with him (mom, grandma - not sure who): “I want that one, just not the GIRLY one!”

Hmmm...how often do we find ourselves wanting, only to find it necessary to be specific about the color and the make and the model and the style and the dye lot and the brand name and the….you name it. It made me wonder, am I too picky? Am I too concerned about the "girly one" or the "stylish one?"

It brought to mind the Apostle Paul and his words to the Philippians in chapter 4, verses 11-13:
Not that I am referring to being in need; for I have learned to be content with whatever I have. I know what it is to have little, and I know what it is to have plenty. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being well-fed and of going hungry, of having plenty and of being in need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me. (NRSV)

Certainly food for thought!

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment