Saturday, July 20, 2019

Day #2023

July 16, 2019 

Tuesday’s Thoughts on Scripture comes from Genesis 18.1: The Lord appeared to Abraham by the oaks of Mamre, as he sat at the entrance of his tent in the heat of the day. (NRSV)

As the story continues, three men visit Abraham, and essentially Sarah, as well. They are men of God. Following Abraham's hurrying to take care of them (with Sarah and the servants’ help), one gives Abraham a blessing - “…your wife Sarah shall have a son.”

Here was Abraham, resting by the trees in the heat of the day, minding his own business, perhaps napping, thinking life probably wouldn’t be much different today than yesterday or tomorrow. Suddenly three men appear out of nowhere. What to do? Ignore them? Be friendly? Show hospitality?  Nod and send them on their way? 

What might you do? I have to admit I just might ignore them and pretend I’m not home (I am thinking about the doorbell ringing). I’m not proud to admit this, but my time at home can be sacred to me. So I wonder, who has been turned away bearing a message for me from God? How often have I missed the presence - and blessing - of God? Hmmm…

Blessings.

Oh, one final moment from NC - we went with sister-in-law and grand-niece for ice cream and hot dogs before our flight. I ordered an ice cream cone for the young one, not knowing that “Mom and dad don’t let me have cones, just cups.” The drips made me realize why. But seriously, what’s ice cream without a cone?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment