Saturday, July 20, 2019

Day #2021

July 14, 2019

After spending a little more time with family, we said our goodbyes and headed back to another part of the state. However, being as close as we have been in many years to the place where my grandparents are buried, we took the opportunity to "go by." 

I remember standing with my grandma by my grandfather’s grave when I was a teen and her saying to me, “You’ll have to come and visit and take care of the graves. No one else is going to do it.” Those words have been hard to swallow as I have moved hundreds of miles away.


The tree that was small when I was a teen has grown to be huge and unhealthy. The gravestones are showing their wear, but the memories of time spent with grandma are as fresh as ever and brought tears, and smiles. 

I’m grateful to my husband for going out of our way to make the visit. And even more grateful that the memories live in my heart and mind, whether I get by the graveside or not.

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment