Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Day #166

June 15, 2014 - The Daily Intersection - Day #166

Father’s Day. There must have been a thousand pictures on Facebook today of fathers. Even my own father-in-law made it to Facebook. He was a great guy, lots of fun, hardworking and hard-playing, and I was honored to be his favorite daughter-in-law (his only, by the way).

My father, however, didn’t get posted today. He and I had our trying times as I became a teenager and well into adulthood. He did his best, I truly believe, and taught me some wonderful life lessons, but he wasn’t always my hero. Fortunately, I have other father figures in my life who have helped me in that regards.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I loved my father and respected him and would have done anything I could to help care for him (and did much in his later years). But he wasn’t the man, according to what my granny said, that he was before he went to war. It changed him. It hardened him. I wish I had known the man in this picture.

The one who was God-loving, kind, and patient. I can’t judge the first of those attributes, because he just never talked about God (as I said, I am thankful to have other father figures in my life who are my heroes in the faith).

So, I do honor the man my father was as I knew him: his business savvy, his penchant for doing things the right way, his neatness, and that he expected a lot from me.

Happy Father’s Day!

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment