Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Day #164

June 13, 2014

The last words in the 28th chapter of the Gospel of Matthew (verses 16-20) hold much comfort for me (this is the gospel lesson for June 15th). Here the disciples go to the mountain where Jesus directed them and there they see Jesus: the resurrected, risen, living Lord - post-crucifixion and empty tomb. And when they saw him, they were overcome with awe and worshiped him. I like to think they fell at his feet in honor, respect, and joy. But….we also read….some doubted. 

Isn’t seeing believing? Don’t we find it easier to believe the things we can see with our own eyes? “Show me” are two words common in our culture. Show me you can do that back-flip. Show me you can add that column of numbers in your head. Do it and then I’ll believe that you can.

However, seeing isn’t always believing. But...some doubted they could believe their eyes. But...some doubted they were worthy to carry on the ministry. But...some doubted this was real and not some crazy, long, convoluted dream.

So where is the comfort in their doubt? At the times when I have my own. Some say to me, we shouldn’t question God. Some say we should always trust, have faith and believe. Yes, with the help of the Holy Spirit, we can. But...sometimes I get in the way of myself. Sometimes I have moments of doubt, and knowing the disciples did, too, is a great comfort. I also find doubt is like a warning sign for me. When I’m having those moments of either self-doubt or God-doubt, that’s the time for more prayer, more quiet with God, and more study. And not one single time has God ever let me down or not helped me.

Which are the other words of great comfort in these last verses in the Gospel of Matthew, as Jesus promises, “And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” Can’t get any better!!!

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment