Monday, April 19, 2021

Day #2660

April 13, 2021

Tuesday’s Thoughts on Scripture comes from the Gospel of Luke, chapter 24, verse 41a: While in their joy they were disbelieving and still wondering. (NRSV)


As someone pointed out to me, how encouraging for us that the disciples were filled with joy, yet they were still disbelieving and wondering. How could this man standing before them be the same Jesus they had followed for years and then watched die on a crucifixion cross? How wonderful that he was alive, but could they believe their own eyes?


This thought brings me back to the day I came home from school to find a strange car parked in front of our house. Who does that car belong to, I asked my mom. Wait until your father gets home, she said. After dad finally came home, we all went out to look at this strange car. It was then that my dad said, it belongs to you. It’s yours. What, mine?! My car? I was thrilled to have wheels (a definitely used but new to me car), but I had a hard time believing it was true, and kept wondering why. Why had my parents helped me get a car (it was so I could drive back and forth to school and work, after my High School graduation). 


That feeling of joy and yet disbelief over something as insignificant as a car must have been only a fraction of what those disciples felt. It is hard sometimes to believe what we see. It is even more difficult to believe what we cannot see - the physical body of the resurrected Jesus. And yet, does that mean it is any less real simply because we struggle to believe? 


Blessings. And prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment