Monday, April 19, 2021

Day #2658

April 11, 2021 

Today we finally gathered the Confirmation Class together, in person, and watched the movie, “Luther.” In this Catechism teaching year, we find it appropriate to learn a little about Martin Luther, who wrote Luther’s Small Catechism. Yes, the 16th century reformer whose name became a part of our denomination. 


Now for my confession: I have probably watched this movie a half-dozen times. But today, I began to finally put it all together. I better followed who were the ones trying to silence Luther, the ones who tried to escalate his changes to a violent overthrow, and what he was really trying to accomplish and change. 


But the important part, I heard something Luther said that I do not remember from any of the previous viewings - “We preach best what we need to learn most.” I do believe that the one who most needs to hear the message/sermon each week is me. I need to hear over and over that God loves us, and all of creation. I need to hear that God desires us to love others, all others. I need to hear that God’s grace is abundant and free. I need to hear it, because I need to continue learning it. 


Thank you, Martin Luther, for this insight. And thank you, confirmation students, for the opportunity to see the movie once again. 


Blessings. And prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment