Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Day #616

September 8, 2015

The story of this quilt goes back a long way – almost nine years ago now. It really begins with my mother-in-law, a quilter. She had put together blocks for a project that she never had the opportunity to complete.

After she died in 2006, my sister-in-law donated these blocks to the quilt ministry at the congregation where I was intern at the time. Those devoted women put them together as you see pictured, and presented me with the quilt when I finished there in 2007.

The quilt stayed packed away without an appropriate place to display it, until recently. When my sister-in-law (same one) visited a couple of weeks ago, I had a project for her – help me find a way to make this a wall-hanging for the office I now occupy. Which she graciously did, and my dear husband helped hang it.

I am so pleased to have this reminder of some of the folks who helped me along the journey to this place. These blocks are familiar, reminding me of my mother-in-law as they contain material she used on the back of the quilt she made my husband and on the back of a quillow she made for me. Also, they remind me of a great group of women in another congregation miles away who shared with me their love, friendship, and encouragement for the journey.

I suppose you could sum this up in one word…comforting!

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment