Saturday, July 26, 2014

Day #206

July 25, 2014

One of the hardest parts, as I have mentioned before, of pastoral care is not being able to “fix” a reality. Especially the reality of aging. As our bodies age, the things we could once do with ease require so much more effort and patience. And we just cannot control some of the functions of our body the way we wish we could. Listening to folks as they experience this reality is difficult, especially knowing there is often not much that can be done, except accept what is happening. Which is not always easy to do, or easy to hear (after all, we are all one day closer today than yesterday to experiencing these “fun” things about getting older!).

As I worked at demonstrating compassion today (see day #204), I said something I have before: I wish I could fix this for you, make it all better, but I cannot. I do not have the magic wand of healing I would like to have, but I do have something for you; the sharing of the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ in the sacrament of Holy Communion.

What a privilege to bring this healing element, this assuring element, this reminder of love and grace to those whose hope for things to be different may be fading as quickly as the virility of youth can fade. What a privilege to witness the power of this reminder, too, as the person receives the assurance and blessing. For many, it truly is the epitome of hope. Thanks be to God!

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment