Saturday, July 16, 2022

Day #3066

May 24, 2022 

Tuesday’s Thoughts on Scripture comes from Revelation 22:13: I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.” (NRSV)


A question I have often been asked, especially by young folks, is: who made God? Or when did God begin? Or how did God begin? It is a fair question. All things have a beginning and an end - at least the things we are familiar with on earth. Also, we know how most things begin - a seed, etc. So, who did make God? 


Well, this verse from the book of Revelation gives us one answer - God always has been. Now, when I have given that answer to a young person, I usually have gotten a confused or skeptical look. What do you mean, pastor? What kind of answer is that? Perhaps God having always been carries just enough mystery to remind me that God is not human, or completely understandable by humans. And, honestly, I am okay with that. God is God and I am not. 


The really comforting part of this for me, however, is that if God is first and last and beginning and end and A to Z, then God is also everything in-between. And knows everything in-between - including me. Thanks be to God. 


Blessings. And prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment