Saturday, January 8, 2022

Day #2929

January 7, 2022

Today’s intersection of faith and life has to do about chaff. Sunday is the Baptism of our Lord and this year we hear the account from the Gospel of Luke. It includes John the Baptist speaking about the “one who is more powerful than I is coming.” Jesus, and “his winnowing fork is in his hand.”


I have to admit that I have often struggled with Jesus gathering the wheat and burning the chaff. Those words have always sounded like judgement, making them hard to swallow. I read something today from the SALT Project, however, that gave me new perspective. 


Winnowing is separating grain from chaff, not grain from grain. Each grain has a husk, chaff, and for the grain to be useful to humans, the husk has to be removed. So winnowing is revealing grain. Not good grain or bad grain, but grain period, because the husk is not useful to humans (it can be for livestock, however, so it does have some redeeming quality). 


Hmmm…some new insight I found very helpful. And hopeful. Thank you, SALT!!


Blessings. And prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment