Sunday, June 7, 2020

Day #2343

May 31, 2020 

Today we celebrated Pentecost. While the recording of the worship service was done on Friday when I was still reeling from the death of Mr. Floyd and the country’s response, I spoke in the sermon about the church being strong. I wondered if we, the church, may be stronger now then we have ever been, thinking that adversity has a way of accomplishing strength (and being separated physically has certainly been an adversity). 

But today, as I reflected on the possibility of the church being strong, I was reminded that we are only strong if we all hurt because of the pain in our world. As the apostle Paul wrote about the body in 1 Corinthians 12:26, “If one member suffers, all suffer together with it; if one member is honored, all rejoice together with it.” (NRSV) And when that happens, then, and only then, are we stronger than ever!

Blessings. And prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment