Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Day #82

March 23, 2014

I should have let it go, but it just kept going and going and I had to tease. Let me explain: I have mentioned the portrayals that we pastors are doing for Lenten services - how we each chose someone from Jesus’ life/history to tell their story for the evening worship. Well, one of the ladies at church had gone with a couple of other women to a Story Telling Weekend at camp. Before worship began, she wanted others to hear about how much fun they had and how meaningful it was so that more might attend next time. But then her sharing changed and she began to talk about the pastor who had been at our church the Sunday before and how great his storytelling was. She talked about how he did such a wonderful job that you felt like you were right there with him and that he kept it interesting and so forth and so on. Let me say that an important piece of this is that I had already done the Ruth character at our church, but that wasn’t mentioned at all. It was all just about how great this other pastor was. Finally, I interrupted and said, ‘well, I just want to say that people at other congregations talk about how much they enjoy the portrayal of Ruth and how wonderfully I tell her story.’

Well, my comment embarassed the lady - and I am sorry for that happening. But, really, how humble do I have to be? It is hard to just keep listening (and smiling) to someone else being elevated for being better at doing something that you also do. But why is it hard? Is it that evil “green-eyed monster” envy? Is it self-doubt? Or is it something even more sinister? I am not sure, but I certainly didn’t much care for the feeling I had.

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment