Friday, March 7, 2014

Day #65

March 6, 2014

It was a strange encounter that left me sad and questioning.

As I sometimes do, I stopped at the local convenience store for a soda and snack. As I came out, an elderly gentleman was getting his fuel cans from his trunk to get kerosene. As we passed on the sidewalk, I smiled and said, “Hi.” But he ignored me. Maybe I wasn’t loud enough, I thought, and let it go.

Once back in my car, I took a moment to check a phone message, and he went toward the store's entrance. I heard loud voices and looked up to see him ‘fussing’ at a young man to “just get in the store, why don’t you.” Then he followed him in. At that point, the young woman in the car next to me, who was evidently with the young man, got out of her car, slammed the door, and started inside. As she opened the front door, the elderly gentleman was right there. She said something to him in a not so friendly tone, and he responded with a very unfriendly reply.

What was going on? What could be wrong? Was it a bad day for the gentleman? Or is there a chronic problem? But here’s my confession - what did I do but back out of the parking spot and go on my way.

Which left me sad and questioning. Should I have done more? Could I have done more? Were prayers enough? When do we intervene and for what purpose?

Wow, what a way to start Lent?!

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment