Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Day #2751

July 13, 2021


Tuesday’s Thoughts on Scripture comes from Psalm 19:10: More to be desired are [God’s commandments] than gold, more than much fine gold, sweeter far than honey, than honey in the comb. (ELW)


MANY years ago, long before I was baptized or a part of a church community, I remember having a conversation with someone about the commandments. They were trying to help me understand that I could not keep the commandments on my own and needed God’s grace. But I haven’t broken these commandments, I argued. For example, I certainly haven’t killed anyone. At that point, I had no idea of Martin Luther’s Small Catechism or his expanded explanation of what “kill” can actually include (like killing someone’s spirit). 


Then I remember arguing that these commandments were pretty restrictive anyway. I meant that God’s laws were all about keeping us from having any fun. At least that was my perspective. 


I wonder what my teen self would have thought about this verse from Psalm 19. More desired than gold are God’s commandments?!?! Well, when my focus is on caring for the other and the other’s focus is on caring for me, that IS sweeter by far than honey!


Blessings. And prayers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment