Saturday, July 10, 2021

Day #2744

July 6, 2021 

Tuesday’s Thoughts on Scripture comes from Ephesians 1:9: [God] has made known to us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure that he set forth in Christ. (NRSV)


When I was in seminary, one of the most challenging early assignments I remember was writing about God’s mystery. The professor asked for a definition of what is meant by God’s mystery and had very definite points he wanted included. Many of us had to redo the answer several times (fortunately he let us rewrite), and the pressure of getting it "right" still sticks with me today.  


Therefore, when I read verse 9 above, I was taken back to that assignment. What I wrote then as the conclusion to the answer was this: The heart of the story is what Jesus did for us by dying, and rising – sacrificing for our salvation. This mystery is to be celebrated and proclaimed each time we gather for Worship.


My answer finally passed. That does not mean, however, that I understand my answer, never mind God’s will or mystery. That Jesus was a part of God’s plan from the beginning is hard to understand. That Jesus’ life, death and resurrection was for us, and only for us, is hard to understand. That God loves us that much, through grace, is hard to understand. 


But then, maybe understanding is not important. Asking for help to accept God’s mystery, to have faith, maybe that is the essence. Help us, O God. Amen. 


Blessings. And prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment