Saturday, February 20, 2021

Day #2604

February 16, 2021 

Tuesday’s Thoughts on Scripture comes from Genesis 9:12: God said, “This is the sign of the covenant that I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for all future generations. (NRSV)


Over the course of my life, I have been blessed to see many rainbows. I remember as a child trying to find the end of the rainbow and the legendary “pot of gold.” I have photographed many rainbows, and just the other day caught a little bit of a “snow”bow. 



But perhaps the most memorable was the rainbow I once actually drove through. Yes, drove through. It was a rather surreal experience. I remember feeling a little tingly all over afterward, which was probably more about the rarity of the experience instead of some magical rainbow "pot of gold."


With all the experiences of rainbows, it gives me joy to read Genesis 9 again. Here it is recorded that God said: the rainbow is more than just something beautiful, it is a sign; a sign of an agreement I am making with all of creation, for now and forever, to never destroy what I have created in a way similar to the Great Flood. 


This agreement is hope-filled in times of flood, fire, storms, severe cold, wind, and heat, weather we all experience at some time or another. Yes, we may suffer and have loss in these "storms," but God is not going backward on the covenant. Because, in the end, God never breaks the covenants God makes. 


So the next time I see a rainbow, I will smile and remember to give thanks for God’s faithfulness to covenant. Always!


Blessings. And prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment