Friday, February 12, 2021

Day #2595

February 7, 2021

One of the most challenging invitations I receive as pastor is to come to the bedside of someone for whom life on this earth is nearing its close. It is an invitation into a thin veiled space between us and God, one I hold dear and with gratitude. Yet, it is difficult to walk with others for whom this time and space is heart-wrenching and hard to understand or accept. I am grateful God has given us promises, and that the church provides resources for prayer and worship to remind us God is with us. And I am beyond thankful for prayer. But with all that said, it can be a time that is challenging to body and spirit. Grief is real and as I have said, it is cumulative. And none of us are exempt.


But to then leave that space and have a chance encounter with a young person full of welcome and excitement at seeing one another can cause the heart to soar and the spirit to be renewed. And I do not believe those encounters are totally by chance. I believe that God watches out for us and knows what we need and when we need it most. I am beyond awed by God’s provision. And hopeful we do not miss that it is actually God in those times who is smiling and offering us a hand. 


Blessings. And prayers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment