Friday, August 30, 2019

Day #2065

August 27, 2019

Tuesday’s Thoughts on Scripture comes from Luke 14, verse 11: “For all who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.” (NRSV)

At the end of a parable Jesus tells as a response to watching guests vying for places of honor, he reminds them the exalted will be humbled and vice versa. Quite the reminder to not think too highly of ourselves or our position.

This reminds me of a time I went to a dinner where some folks were due to be honored. I found a seat, thinking I was near the back of the room and introduced myself to the folks sitting with me. They were kind and quiet, and had some family members also sitting with them. Later, as the “program” part of the dinner began, I found out this quiet and kind couple were actually the ones being honored. I was so embarrassed - first that I had made a mistake and sat at the table of honor, and second that I didn’t realize who they were. 

No wonder Jesus reminds us to remember our “place.” After all, we are who we are only because of our relationship with God - and because of God, we have a place at the table. With that in mind, why should we be concerned of where our “position” is, especially if it means belittling or judging someone else? 

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment