Monday, September 12, 2016

Day #984

September 10, 2016 

What a wonderful time spent today at the annual Fall Potluck Salad Luncheon hosted by the Women of the ELCA. We had an inspiring speaker - Lois Olmsted (see her website: Time Out With Lois  Her words pivot around the idea of being joyful in the midst of whatever happens, trusting God. She’s also quite good at telling a story, using humor in the midst of angst, to make her point. 

Yet, the way she ended the talk really touched me deeply. She talked of driving around town before the event, observing the ways things have changed in the years since she has been gone. And she shared what she jotted down as she traveled roads she had decades before when she lived here - “thank you for what you did while I was away.” 

Her words made me thankful to be here now as a caretaker of the places and people. They made me thankful for the time I spent in my first call, caring for the people and places while I was there. They made me thankful for the time I spent in seminary, caring for the people and places while I was there. They made me thankful for all the years I’ve been with my husband, caring for the people and places who crossed our lives. Thankful, yes, but also reminiscent. And touched by the goodness of God who calls us to be where we need to be. 

Then, to end the day, we went to see the new movie Sully. It is about the landing of the airplane in the Hudson river in 2011, saving all passengers and crew. Here’s a link to an entry I made on the perspective I had when we visited the museum where the plane now resides: Day #69. This is truly an amazing story, and a very good movie. Speaking of being where you need to be, Captain Sully certainly was who needed to be there when he was. 155 people might just agree! 

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment