August 13, 2016
This seemed especially pertinent today from Daily Grace, the Women of the ELCA Blog, as we spent some time at home (also what has seemed to be a RARE treat lately):
In our increasingly busy lives, maintaining a calm, nurturing home life can be a challenge. Here are some ways to foster the experience of a happy, healthy, holy home life:Blessings.
- Place a small bowl of water on your kitchen table or counter to remember your baptism with a sign of the cross as you come and go.
- Build rituals and traditions that are unique to your family.
- Keep a Bible and devotionals handy so you can look up the Sunday Scripture texts and talk about them together.
- Make a routine for home life that everyone can depend on.
The key to teaching children about family and home life is to model a commitment to it yourself. Graciously welcome and engage children in the tasks and privileges of being part of the family and creating a home life together. Your efforts will leave a lasting legacy.Today’s message was adapted from “Turning Hearts Toward Holy Home” by Miriam “Mim” Campbell that appeared in the June 2009 issue of Lutheran Woman Today (now Gather) magazine.
- Organize kid-friendly home workshops to teach practical skills and plan schedules.