Monday, February 15, 2016

Day #776

February 15, 2016

I was reminded today of something that happened several years ago. As I stood up to preach one Sunday, a young boy looked up at me and let out the longest sigh. At the time I laughed, thinking he meant, oh no, not another sermon. You know, something like: are you really going to talk again??

Now it could have meant that he looked at me and sighed with appreciation - oh boy, another sermon!! Yay - you are going to talk again!! (The difference punctuation makes reminded me of Martin Marty’s article about the “?” and the “!” marks I talked about in Day #775.)

What specifically made me think about this event today? It was the thought I had that he meant: really, do I have to listen now, because there are so many other things I would rather be doing. Yep, truth is, today was one of those days I would have enjoyed playing hooky!

Maybe I am having the beginnings of a little spring fever. Or maybe it was just one of those days. But either way, I sure am glad God never has moments of wanting to be doing anything other than what needs doing!! And I’m also glad they only last a short time!

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment