Thursday, December 10, 2015

Day #708

December 9, 2015

In preparation for John the Baptist’s words hundreds of years ago for those who came to hear his message (check out Luke 3:7-18), this prayer from the d365 devotion hits home:
God, it’s so easy to make surface level changes, but I know that the changes I make from within are the ones that matter the most. Help me to know what needs to be cut away in order to create space for new life to be birthed within me. Transform me from the inside out. Amen.
Something to consider, however: the prayer mentions changes I make from within, but can I really change myself from within in any way? Just like, can I actually figure out what needs to be cut away? For example, we can know that a short temper isn’t healthy and needs transformation from within. But, can we really change any of our feelings on our own? Certainly we can learn ways to deal with feelings, maybe through what can be a very long process of learning. But transformation, I believe, really comes from God.

And, the good news, God never gives up and never tires from our seeking transformation. Thanks be to God!!

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment