Thursday, April 30, 2015

Day #474

April 19, 2015

Been thinking lately about doubt, so I looked up the word. The definition is: to be uncertain about; consider questionable or unlikely; hesitate to believe.

Doubt is something that seems unholy. Unfaithful. Even unchristian. Yet, doubt is not the absence of belief or faith. I think it’s an ebb and flow of faith, an intertwined emotion. So many things bring moments of pondering - scratching our heads wondering if what we think we know or believe is really real. Can this love be real? Am I dreaming about that acceptance letter? Have I been duped into thinking my friend is loyal?

One of Jesus’ disciples, Thomas, is often referred to as “Doubting” Thomas. I think he gets a bad rap with that name. After all, he just had a hard time believing that something he hoped was real, really was. I want to see it to believe it; don’t we often say that right along with him?

That’s where the definition of doubt gives room for grace - hesitate to believe. And in those moments/times of hesitation, the real grace comes in that Jesus understands and walks with us then just as closely as at any other time. Amazing grace!

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment