Friday, April 24, 2015

Day #471

April 16, 2015

What is it about peace? It must be important since the gospel lesson for both Sundays (the 12th and 19th) include Jesus saying to the disciples, “Peace be with you.” The quick answer to its importance is that the disciples were troubled, afraid, locked behind closed doors, and shutting down. Fear and angst can do that. Rob the joy out of life, and knot us into a closed ball. It can happen before we realize it’s coming, too. Suddenly we wake up and go, hey, I’m scared. I’m not sure I trust. In fact, I’m not sure I believe, or even want to try to understand. And temptation has found a foothold. 

So Jesus says, “Peace be with you.” Beautiful words. It’s like him saying, open yourselves back up. Let me smash that fear. For I am here, I am with you, and I am real. Be open to renewal. Have hope.

Every Sunday we share Christ’s peace and his reassurance with one another. It has a tendency to become a time of fellowship, but is meant for so much more - a boost, a turning, a renewal of hope.

“Peace be with you.” May calm and quiet be the rulers of our life, even amidst so many things that want to pull us in very different directions. For in that calm and quiet, I have found that I can more clearly and more often hear God speak, and reassure me, and lift me up in ways nothing else can.

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment