Sunday, March 1, 2015

Day #419

February 23, 2015

The question was asked in a meeting, "pastor, what is discipleship?" The brief answer I gave: “all that I have and all that I am comes from God.”

But there should have been more said. There should have been an explanation that discipleship is being intentional about learning what those twelve words mean. Then it means responding to what I learn and joyfully following the One who gave all for us, no matter what is asked of me or where it leads. It means a daily opening of heart, mind, body and soul to what God would have me do and be. It means putting aside my own desires and wishes, perceived needs and wants, for the sake of someone else. It means dying to self, relying on prayer, trusting that God is bigger than any plans or dreams I can concoct.

In the end, I suppose discipleship really means that God is God, and I am not, and that I can only believe in or follow Jesus through God’s mercy and grace. To realize that is to be a disciple and to be a disciple is to live in response.

Yep, there should have been more said.

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment