Saturday, December 14, 2019

Day #2170

December 10, 2019 

Tuesday’s Thoughts on Scripture comes from Matthew 1:20: But just when [Joseph] had resolved to [dismiss Mary quietly], an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife, for the child conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. (NRSV)

Finally, we get to hear about the birth of Jesus in this season of Advent and it is Joseph's perspective. Told that the baby in Mary’s womb was conceived by the Holy Spirit, he is understandably not quite sure about it all, until the angel appears and his eyes, and heart, are opened. He is told there is nothing to fear in taking Mary as his wife and helping raise this baby Jesus. 

When we do the work/call of the Lord, is there anything to fear? Faith says there is not, but our “good sense” makes us wonder. When I began my first call, I wondered (and feared) a lot - why me? How could I be helpful for folks in their darkest days? Would I make good decisions? What about the mistakes I would make? Okay, truth be told, I still wonder. I know in my heart there is nothing to fear, because God is with me, but sometimes my head convinces me to try and work things out on my own. Fortunately, I am quite often reminded to not be afraid!

There is much to learn in Joseph’s response. And much to ponder as we come nearer to the end of Advent and the beginning of the Christmas Season. 

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment