Thursday, September 26, 2019

Day #2093

September 24, 2019

This Tuesday’s Thoughts on Scripture is about 1 Timothy 6:10: For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, and in their eagerness to be rich some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pains. (NRSV)

It is impossible for me to read this verse without thinking of my father. Sadly, he was one whose love of money pierced him, and others, with many pains. He was a proud man, a man who considered himself to be very smart and savvy. He was. Yet he was also a driven man. He worked long hours for years, trying many different ways to “get rich.” His failed attempts at investing in something new and cutting edge could fill a book (those stories are for another time). Suffice it to say however, his failures were often financially and emotionally difficult for the family. 

Yet I was fortunate that my mother was the opposite of my dad. Mom was very generous and trying to be rich never seemed to be a part of her life. Perhaps she realized that being rich had nothing to do with a bank balance or savings account. 

In the end I am grateful for both examples. Because of my father, I am able to see, through firsthand experience, the sadness that can come in bowing to the evil idol of money. It is my hope, and prayer, that we all are able to learn and grow away from the love of money to the riches found in faith. God is generous - we have no need to worry. 

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment