Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Day #2114

October 15, 2019 

Tuesday’s Thoughts on Scripture comes from 2 Timothy 4:3: For the time is coming when people will not put up with sound doctrine, but having itching ears, they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own desires. (NRSV)

This verse reminds me of the question a young person once asked me: Why are there so many denominations? If there are so many who teach differently, who is right? I was discussing this question in Bible Study when someone said, a pastor once told me something like this - Lutherans are right. We’re just not the only ones who are. 

Perhaps we humans do have “itching ears” and want to be taught more of what we already believe, so that means different denominations. But I’ve also heard, don’t confuse me with the facts, I know what I believe. Surely there will always be someone who teaches what we believe, or want to believe. Which begs the question - what then is sound doctrine? I suppose the answer to that is - what is the main thing? Perhaps verse 3:15 of 2nd Timothy holds the clue.

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment