Monday, June 18, 2018

Day #1628

June 16, 2018 

Warning, this will be a tad of a rant. 

Please understand that I am thankful there are folks who had wonderful fathers and I am thankful they pay loving tributes to those men on FaceBook. There is good reason to be proud and grateful for a loving, kind, selfless father, including those who have passed on. But when Father’s Day comes along and the father you remember was just a tad less than stellar, well, it tends to make one feel guilty for thinking less of the memories of the man who raised you. Guilty, sad, regretful, etc. - you get the idea. 

Oh, I am thankful for the man who raised me - his demand for excellence taught me to try harder; his tendency to lose his temper taught me to be patient (most times); his ability to pick on me taught me to think quickly on my feet; his gift for fixing things taught me to do the same. But loving, gentle, or kind does not describe my father.

So as Father’s Day (or Mother’s Day, too) rolls around, consider that others may have different experiences/memories than yours. It’s good to be proud of your parent, but please understand if others choose not to participate in paying glowing tributes. And that is ok, as there is no reason to feel guilty for passing.

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment