Sunday, July 23, 2017

Day #1297

July 20, 2017

Richard Rohr’s Daily Meditation on this day spoke strongly to me. Here’s what he has to say:
Remember, it’s God in you that loves God. You, on your own, don’t really know how to love God. It’s Christ in you that recognizes Christ. It’s the Holy Spirit, whose temple you are (see 1 Corinthians 3:16), that responds to the Holy Spirit. Like recognizes like. That’s why all true cognition is really recognition (“re-cognition” or knowing something again). Only so far as you have surrendered to Christ and allowed the Christ in you to come to fullness can you love Christ. It’s Christ in you that recognizes and loves Christ. 
Wow! That’s powerful and a great reminder it’s not possible for me to just will myself to love Christ. 

It’s almost as powerful as watching the camp counselors act out the Passion. While it’s the third time I’ve seen them do this, this time I was down front and right beside the "aisle" where the actors go up and back from the “stage.” So when Jesus went by carrying the cross with the soldiers pushing him along, chills ran down my spine. It was very powerful to see the face of the actor portray just a portion of the angst the human Jesus endured. I surely will not soon forget the experience! Thank you, counselors, for making this even more real for me and the campers/volunteers.

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment