Friday, December 18, 2020

Day #2534

December 8, 2020 

Tuesday’s Thoughts on Scripture is from 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24: May the God of peace himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body be kept sound and blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. The one who calls you is faithful, and he will do this. (NRSV)


In these words I hear the good news of blessing and promise. Blessing - may God sanctify us (set us apart or make us holy) and our whole being be found worthy at the coming of Jesus (when Jesus one day returns). What a beautiful indication of God being with us - doing for us all that we cannot. Which points to the promise - God is faithful and will do this. 


There are days when I wonder if I am worthy. There are times when I doubt my abilities, my commitment, my desire, and it seems impossible that God could love me without fail. I do not feel good enough for God to keep me sound or blameless. 


Here is the thing. God will do this whether we feel good enough or not. Fortunately, being worthy is not about how we feel, it is about God - the one who is faithful. In the good days and bad. In the ups and downs. In the times when all seems to be going well and when things seem to be falling apart, God keeps us sound and blameless through love, mercy and abounding grace. 


What a promise!!!! What a timely reminder!! Thanks be to God!!


Blessings. And prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment