Friday, May 13, 2016

Day #858

May 7, 2016

This year Mother’s Day has been on my mind a lot. It seems to be particularly hard this year. Perhaps it’s just that touch of spring fever I was suffering from earlier, but I’m more than ambivalent or distracted by it, I’m actually sad about it.

In worship, we’ll celebrate ALL women – sisters, cousins, god-mothers, aunts, and, of course, the traditional mothers, grandmothers, etc. Even daughters – surely we can’t miss anyone there. But I cannot help thinking of those who cannot even face the day being in worship – those who are freshly grieving the death of mom, grandmother, friend; those who have miscarried or cannot become pregnant; those whose child has gone missing or become ill or even worse? I personally know those who stay away on this Sunday, when the well-meaning Happy Mother’s Day greeting (even a Happy Women’s Day) is just too much.

Please know I understand. And I empathize. More importantly, God knows and thankfully is with us in the midst of the sadness and pain. Thanks be to God!

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment