Friday, March 28, 2014

Day #86

March 27, 2014

One of the aspects of Centering Prayer that I find fascinating is the focus word - a word to use in calling me back to the purpose when my mind wanders. It’s a word that usually comes to me within the first few seconds as I begin my time in contemplation or prayer. And often it is a different word each time. This morning’s word was relinquish.

As I centered myself for quiet, or listening to God’s voice, or having twenty minutes of intentional communion with God, that word jumped out at me. I realize I am in a state of trying to control - the way the season of Lent unfolds in worship, some decisions facing me personally, financial situations (it IS tax time coming up), etc. As much as I try not to let worry overshadow, my need to control, or guide, or whatever you want to call it, does have its affects on my joy, my spouse, my congregation, my blood pressure, and my eating habits. You name it, “stress” affects it.

So relinquish was an appropriate word. As my mind wandered, I relinquished its thoughts to God. It ended up as one of the most peaceful twenty minutes in a long time. Thank you, God, for reminding me - and helping me, even when I don’t always realize or recognize I need it.

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment