Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Day #2443

September 8, 2020

Today’s Tuesday’s Thoughts on Scripture comes from Paul’s letter to the Romans, chapter 14, verse 8: If we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord; so then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord’s. (NRSV)


Perhaps these words sound harsh in our ears. No matter if we live or die, it is all about God. But what about me?! What about my thoughts, my needs, my desires?! It makes me wonder why I should bother working so hard, if my life is all about God!!


But what if we think in terms of what it means to be the Lord’s? Does it make a difference that the one who created us, called us, and redeemed us never lets us go? Ever!! Living or dying in the Lord is not a temporary thing - it’s permanent. 


Which reminds me that in my home state, the adoption laws are such that once you adopt a child you CANNOT, under any circumstance, remove them from your inheritance or your life. They are a part of your family permanently. It is the same with God. God’s welcoming us into God's kingdom means we become a part of God forever (which lasts, by the way, much longer than any earthly family). All of which gives me great comfort - for myself and for those I care about. 


Blessings. And prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment